Venue

gregorianaPontifical Gregorian University

In 1551, St. Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus, opened a “Schola grammaticae et humanitatis pro iuvenibus” in Rome. Within a short span of time, it became the Roman College and in 1556 started conferring academic degrees according to pontifical norms. It moved to new premises constructed by Gregory XIII on the Piazza that became synonymous with the College: Piazza del Collegio Romano. In 1873, Pius IX gave the College the title of the “Pontifical Gregorian University” which since 1930 has been located at Piazza della Pilotta, 4. At the dawn of the third millennium, the Pontifical Gregorian University wants to continue its long-standing tradition, taking its place at the crossroads between Church and Society, faith and culture. Being its specific bent that of serving the universal Church by teaching and researching the Sacred Sciences together with other related disciplines.

Pontifical Gregorian University: "Virtus et Scientia" Brochure, p. 2

 

Pontifical Gregorian University
Piazza della Pilotta, 4
00187 Rome

www.unigre.it